Master in Household Management (Professional Butlers)
on Campus or Online + In-company InternshipApply now Download PDF
On Campus version
Household management profession requires a wide range of Skills and know-how in order to provide a high-end service that employers are looking for nowdays in this high technology world.
The butler is a key element in a team of professionals striving to deliver a level of personalized service that exceeds not only the expectation of the guest but will add a point of difference from the service provided anywhere else within the hotel/spa/resort/house. The position of butler provides a very personal, detailed, seamless service to its boss, family, and guests. A butler will take care of all needs in a highly professional manner. The butler will take gentle care of all their guests from arrival until departure without imposing themselves on the guest. The butler will be seen by the boss and guests in response to all the guest’s needs and requests. The attention to detail that is required from butlers, and their ability to anticipate boss/guests needs means that they are the consummate hotel professional with impeccable standards. Butlers will not accept anything less than the best available presentation of the suites/rooms/house and public areas of the establishment.
The main teaching language is English. The study plan includes an intensive foreign language study module to choose from Spanish for foreigners, French or Russian. After the theoretical modules are completed or simultaneously with it, all students have to complete an internship period in one of the companies in the sector in Spain or abroad. The theoretical part takes place in our school located in Barcelona or Valencia, Spain.
During the program, each student will have the opportunity to actively engage in the business world by means of an in-company internship. With a minimum of 240 hours of practical work, the compulsory internship will contribute positively to the students’ experience and professional profile.
This program will provide you theoretical, linguistic and practical skills.
Instruction is in the form of lectures, seminars, workshops, videoconference classes, cases, and individual assignments. The examination is in the form of written exams, individual and group assignments and workshop exercises.
All foreign students have to do a Spanish language preparation module to take one of the official state exams of Spanish for Foreigners, DELE or SIELE, of the correspondent A1, A2, B1, B2, C1 levels. HTL International School is an accredited SIELE examination center of the Instituto Cervantes.
- You will have the Access to the specialized online platform for a period of one academic year with all necessary study materials for all compulsory modules according to the study plan
- All foreign students have to do a Spanish language preparation module to take one of the official state exams of Spanish for Foreigners, DELE or SIELE Global, of the correspondent level A1, A2, B1, B2 or C1. HTL International School is an accredited SIELE examination center of the Instituto Cervantes.
- You will have 6 months per academic year to prepare all required for the graduation tests. The Project presentation can be done online or personally at school.
- You will have the possibility to do internship worldwide as HTL student. The school will sign all necessary internship agreements. The internship can run all year round simultaneously with your theoretical online studies. Once the internship is finished, it will be necessary to present the evaluation certificate to count it as a compulsory credit inside your transcript of studies.
To enroll in the Master Degree, it is necessary:
1. to fill the online application form below
2. submit the requested documents:
– passport copy
– last studies transcript
– English level certificate, if any. If you don’t have any proof of your English level, you have to fill the online placement test to be completed online before the online application is done. The direct link is on the Admissions page.
On successfully completing this Professional Program of Study you will:
1. Be awarded the
– Master Degree in Household Management
– DELE Diploma or SIELE Global (Spanish Language for Foreigners official diplomas) or
– French/Russian Language Level Certificate
2. Have attained an accredited qualification for managerial and supervisory levels showing you possess competence in professional work activities.
3. Have attained a high-level qualification equated to the International studies framework as a Master Degree or Master Propio according to the Spanish National framework.
More and more people are beginning to realize that they not only can but should, employ butlers to manage their households or service their guests. Our economy moves increasingly onto a service-based platform.
More butlers are hired by employers eager to turn over the running of their household to someone they can trust. And the profession itself becomes much more accessible and standardized.
The profession of Butler requires a wide range of skills and know-how in order to provide the high-end service that employers are looking for.
Learning goals and associated learning outcomes for the Master in Household Management:
1. Communication Skills: Our graduates will be effective communicators in professional contexts. Students should be able to produce written documents that communicate complex disciplinary ideas and information effectively for the intended audience and purpose. Students should be able to produce oral presentations that communicate complex disciplinary ideas and information effectively for the intended audience and purpose.
2. Professional Standards of Performance: Butler Etiquette, Principles of Management and Leadership, Relationship with the Employer, Supervising Housekeeping, Administrative Duties, Wines&Cigars, Looking After Guests, The Valet (A Gentleman’s Gentleman)/Lady’s Maid, The Personal Assistant, Social Occasions, Security issues, etc.
3. A Butler’s Professional Code of Ethics: Integrity, Service, Confidentiality, Dedication, Respect, Professional Relationships, etc.
The program blends the on-campus theory with the online study platform and in-company practical internship.
After the theoretical part of the courses is finished, all students are invited to do an internship. We recommend joining our internship for a minimum of 3 months. HTL International School has signed a huge variety of educational agreements with different hotel chains, companies, and travel operators nationally, mainland and islands. According to Spanish law, it is possible to do a part-time (20 h/week) or full time (40 h/week) internship during the study period or after the theoretical part is finished. Normally, the companies provide some grant, its quantity depends on the company policy regarding the interns. Some of the internship positions are published directly on our Internships&Jobs Portal. In case you have a company interested in you as an intern in Spain or abroad, please contact us to sign the internship agreement with your company.
- Final Project
- Continuous Assessment
- Official Exam of Spanish Language for Foreigners DELE or SIELE
- French/Russian language exam
Master degree in HOUSEHOLD MANAGEMENT (PROFESSIONAL BUTLERS)
STUDY PLAN: 72 ECTS credits
Module I: Customer service & Communication skills
Module II: Butler’s proficiency
- Essence of Butler
- Butler Etiquette
- Managing the Household
- Looking after guests
- The Gentleman’s Gentleman
- The Personal Assistant
- Fine eating experiences
- Social Occasions
- Moving House
- Safety and Security
- The 21st Century Butler
Module III. Foreign Language Intensive Course (Spanish, French or Russian)
- Official DELE/SIELE exam of Spanish for Foreigners preparation module
- General French or Russian Language test according to the initial entrance level
Module IV. Spanish/French/Russian Language for the Tourism Sector Module
Module V. Final Project
· Project design
· Research tools
· Personal reflection
· Appropriate questionnaire designs
· Conducting academic research, literature search, and review
· Developing a research question, hypothesis and methodology
· Managing a research project
Module VI: Internship
Official Exam of Spanish Language for Foreigners DELE or SIELE
French/Russian language exam
*One academic hour: 45 minutes