Master in Food and Beverage Management and Service
on Campus or Online + In-company Internship
This 1 academic year program is designed to produce professionals in the field of Food & Beverage Management and Service. The main teaching language is English. The study plan includes an intensive foreign language study module to choose from Spanish for foreigners, French or Russian. After the theoretic modules are completed or simultaneously with it, all students have to complete an internship period in any of the companies of the sector in Spain or worldwide.
This program will provide you theoretical, linguistic and practical skills.
Instruction is in the form of lectures, seminars, workshops, videoconferences classes, cases, and individual assignments. The examination is in the form of written exams and individual and group assignments and workshop exercises.
All foreign students have to do a Spanish language preparation module to take one of the official state exams of Spanish for Foreigners, DELE or SIELE, of the correspondent A1, A2, B1, B2, C1 levels. HTL International School is an accredited SIELE examination center of the Instituto Cervantes.
- You will have the Access to the specialized online platform for a period of one academic year with all necessary study materials for all compulsory modules according to the study plan.
- All foreign students have to do a Spanish language preparation module to take one of the official state exams of Spanish for Foreigners, DELE or SIELE Global, of the correspondent level A1, A2, B1, B2 or C1. HTL International School is an accredited SIELE examination center of the Instituto Cervantes.
- You will have 6 months per academic year to prepare all required for the graduation tests. The Project presentation can be done online or personally at school.
- You will have the possibility to do internship worldwide as HTL student. The school will sign all necessary internship agreements. The internship can run all year round simultaneously with your theoretical online studies. Once the internship is finished, it will be necessary to present the evaluation certificate to count it as a compulsory credit inside your transcript of studies.
To enroll in the Master Degree, it is necessary:
1. to fill the online application form below
2. submit the requested documents:
– passport copy
– last studies transcript
– English level certificate, if any. If you don’t have any proof of your English level, you have to fill the online placement test to be completed online before the online application is done. The direct link is on the Admissions page.
On successfully completing this Professional Program of Study you will:
1. Be awarded the
– Master Degree in Food and Beverage Management and Service
– DELE Diploma or SIELE Global (Spanish Language for Foreigners official diplomas) or
– French/Russian Language Level Certificate
2. Have attained an accredited qualification for managerial and supervisory levels showing you possess competence in professional work activities.
3. Have attained a high-level qualification equated to the International studies framework as a Master Degree or Master Propio according to the Spanish National framework.
Food and beverage managers plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations of restaurants, bars, cafeterias and other businesses that operate serving food and beverage. Food and beverage managers may be employed by restaurants, bars, hotels, and resorts, etc. Food and beverage managers still require great customer skills, but apply management skills ensuring the labor and financial goals of the organization are maintained.
- Organize, direct and evaluate food and beverage service
- Recruitment and training of staff
- Shift scheduling
- Performance management; monitor staff performance and provide feedback
- Purchase and control of inventory
- Monitor revenues and expenses
- Ensure the practice of health and safety regulations
- Negotiate supplier arrangements for food and beverage products
- Negotiate with clients for the use of facilities for catering, parties, banquets, etc
The program aims for students to acquire the necessary knowledge to work in a Food & Beverages Business. The program focuses on a number of topics, including the food sector structure, establishment business plan, deep menu and beverage knowledge, menu planning, hiring process, employee training techniques, catering event management, marketing and promotion issues, quality control. Business skills like finance and accounting themes will be covered also. The F&B Service module will cover subjects such as customer service, different service sequences, staff issues, and supervision techniques.
Food and beverage managers are the leaders in the kitchen and the front of the house in restaurants of all kinds. Responsible for overall operation for the restaurant, food and beverage managers hire staff, purchase food and stock, and make sure everyone is trained on proper food preparation, proper and legal alcoholic beverage service kitchen safety techniques and understand health standards. Food and beverage managers make sure that company is represented correctly and that the company’s standards are upheld. Food and beverage managers also set daily and weekly cleaning schedules for the kitchen and front of the house, hire, train and discipline employees and set work schedules. They keep tabs on food cost, waste, and employee hours, doing their best to optimize profit for their company and create the best dining experience possible for customers.
According to the World’s 50 Best Restaurant ranking, Spain is an Nº1 country in gastronomy, world best restaurants, and pastry. The correspondent module will give you an overview of the history and actual situation of the gastronomy and wineries of Spain.
Internships or co-operative working opportunities are available as part of many hospitality and foodservice management training programs. Students can take advantage of these opportunities to gain hands-on experience working alongside professionals in the field. Internship experience can also be helpful for a student seeking to develop his or her resume.
The program blends the on-campus theory with the online study platform and in-company practical internship.
After the theoretical part of the courses is finished, all students are invited to do an internship. We recommend joining our internship for a minimum of 3 months. HTL International School has signed a huge variety of educational agreements with different hotel chains, companies, and travel operators nationally, mainland and islands. According to Spanish law, it is possible to do a part-time (20 h/week) or full time (40 h/week) internship during the study period or after the theoretical part is finished. Normally, the companies provide some grant, its quantity depends on the company policy regarding the interns. Some of the internship positions are published directly on our Internships&Jobs Portal. In case you have a company interested in you as an intern in Spain or abroad, please contact us to sign the internship agreement with your company.
- Final Project
- Continuous Evaluation
- Official Exam of Spanish Language for Foreigners DELE or SIELE
- French/Russian language exam
Master in FOOD/BEVERAGE MANAGEMENT AND SERVICE
STUDY PLAN: 72 ECTS
Module I: Food and Beverages Management
- Structure of the Food Sector
- Establishment set-up
- Menu design
- Purchasing, storage, production, service, and control
- Human resources management
- Marketing and promotion
- Quality controls
Module II. Food and Beverage Service
- Staff skills
- Service equipment
- Menu and beverages knowledge
- Service sequences
- Event service
- Supervisory service
Module III. Gastronomy and Wines of Spain
- Best restaurants in Spain: The World’s 50 Best Restaurant ranking, Michelin stars
- Famous chefs and pastry chefs of Spain
- Wineries of Spain
Module IV. Strategic Marketing
- Essence of Marketing
- The strategic marketing planning process
- Mission, value strategies, and market definition
- Internal analysis
- Customer analysis
- Industry analysis
- Competitors analysis
- SWOT analysis
- Corporate objectives and corporate strategies
- Marketing objectives and marketing strategies
- Product, price, place
- Marketing communication
- Organization and implementation of marketing
Module V. Foreign Language Intensive Course (Spanish, French or Russian)
- Official DELE/SIELE exam of Spanish for Foreigners preparation module
- General French or Russian Language test according to the initial entrance level
Module VI. Spanish/French/Russian Language for the Tourism Sector Module
Module VII. Final Project
· Project design
· Research tools
· Personal reflection
· Appropriate questionnaire designs
· Conducting academic research, literature search, and review
· Developing a research question, hypothesis and methodology
· Managing a research project
Module VIII: Internship
Official Exam of Spanish Language for Foreigners DELE or SIELE
French/Russian language exam
*One academic hour: 45 minutes