Master in Professional Tour Guiding
On campus or Online + In-company Internship
On Campus version
This 9 month intensive training program is designed to produce professionals in the field of Tourist Guide services. The main language of instruction is English. The study plan includes an intensive foreign language study module to choose between Spanish for freigners, Russian or French. The theoretic part takes place in our school located in Barcelona or Valencia. After the theoretic modules are completed or simultaneously with it, all students have to complete an internship period in one of the companies of tourism sector.
This program will provide you theoretic, linguistic and practical skills.
This training has been specially devised to teach you all the information and skills you need to become a successful Tourist Guide. Instruction is in the form of lectures, seminars, virtual classrooms, workshops, cases and individual assignments. Examination is in the form of written exams and individual and group assignments and workshops.
All foreign students have to do a Spanish language preparation module to take one of the official state exams of Spanish for Foreigners, DELE or SIELE, of the correspondent A1, A2, B1, B2, C1 levels. HTL International School is an accredited SIELE examination center of the Instituto Cervantes.
- You will have the Access to the specialized online platform for a period of 9 months with all necessary study materials for all compulsory modules according the study plan
- All foreign students have to do a Spanish language preparation module to take one of the official state exams of Spanish for Foreigners, DELE or SIELE Global, of the correspondent level A1, A2, B1, B2 or C1. HTL International School is an accredited SIELE examination center of the Instituto Cervantes.
- You will have 9 months per academic year to prepare all required for the graduation tests and exams. The exams can be done online or personally at school in Barcelona or Valencia.
- You will have the possibility to do internship worldwide as HTL student. The school will sign all necessary internship agreements. The internship can run all year round simultaneously with your theoretical online studies. Once the internship is finished, it will be necessary to present the evaluation certificate to count it as a compulsory credit inside your transcript of studies.
To enrol in the Master Degree, it is necessary:
1. to fill the online application form below
2. submit the requested documents:
– passport copy
– last studies transcript
– English level certificate, if any. If you don’t have any proof of your English level, you have to fill the online placement test to be completed online before the online application is done. The direct link is on Admissions page.
On successfully completing this Professional Program of Study you will:
1. Be awarded the
– Master Degree in Tour Guiding in Spain
– DELE Diploma or SIELE Global (Spanish Language for Foreigners official diplomas) or
– French/Russian Language Level Certificate
2. Have attained an accredited qualification for managerial and supervisory levels showing you possess competence in professional work activities.
3. Have attained a high level qualification equated to the International studies framework as a Master Degree or Master Propio according to the Spanish National framework.
– local guide, tour guide and senior tour guide
– tour manager or tour director
– interpretive guide and senior interpretive guide
– remote area guide
– outdoor recreation guide or tour leader
– museum guide and heritage guide
– cultural guide and senior cultural guide
– nature-based guide and senior nature-based guide
– adventure guide
– walking guide
– specialist guide
– driver guide
– owner-operator of small tour operation
Individuals with this qualification are able to work in multiple tourism industry sectors and enterprise types. They may work for inbound tour operators, outbound tour wholesalers, local tour operators, at cultural and heritage sites, in marine and national parks and attractions, or may be owner-operators of small tourism businesses. Because guiding is an occupation that relies on a knowledge base, guides at this level may have specialist knowledge of particular destinations, local areas or regions, sites, tourist precincts or any subject matter. Local guides have a broad knowledge base and deliver tours across a particular city, local area or region.
Specialist guides at this level operate tours to remote area destinations and others manage extended touring programs within and outside Spain.
The program blends the on campus theory with the online study platform and in-company practical internship.
After the theoretical part of the courses is finished, all students are invited to do an internship. We recommend to join our internship for a minimum of 3 months. HTL International School has signed a huge variety of educational agreements with different hotel chains, companies and travel operators nationally, mainland and islands. According to Spanish law, it is possible to do a part time (20 h/week) or full time (40 h/week) internship during the study period or after the theoretical part is finished. Normally, the companies provide some grant, its quantity depends on the company policy regarding the interns. Some of the internship positions are published directly on our Internships&Jobs Portal. In case you have a company interested in you as an intern in Spain or abroad, please contact us to sign the internship agreement with your company.
- Degree Project
- Official Exam of Spanish Language for Foreigners DELE or SIELE
- French/Russian language exam
Master in TOUR GUIDING, STUDY PLAN: 72 ECTS
Module I: Tour Guiding
- The Tourism Industry,
- Components of tourism,
- Tourism impacts
- The tourism system worldwide,
- Travel geography and markets,
- Tour guide role, the present and the future
- Effective communication skills for Tour Guiding,
- Type of communication
- Communication strategy
- Handling enquiries and complaints
- Customer Service,
- Code of Ethics
- External & internal customers
- Communication methods
- Internal policies and procedures
- Customer service planning
- Customer need and expectations
- Customer satisfaction
- Tour guiding, types and kinds
- Presentation skills
- Walking tours, bus tours, logistics, group entertainment
- Safety and security protocols
- Legal and ethical issues in tour guiding
Module II. Touristic itineraries in Spain
Madrid and Castilla: Madrid, Comunidad de Madrid, Castilla la Marcha y Castilla y Leon
- Royal Palace
- Plaza Mayor
- Museum Prado: Velzaquez, retratos de los Habsburgo. Goya.
- Aranjuez. Ávila. Valladolid.
- Toledo: arab and jewish.
- Brothers Pizarro. Conquer of Peru.
- Extremadura. Virgen de Guadalupe. Cortés y conquer of Mexico.
- Costa del Sol: Málaga, Mijas, Marbella, Puerto Banús
- Costa de la Luz: Cádiz, Tarifa, Huelva, Puerto de Santa María, Jerez de la Frontera
Catalunya and Northern Spain: Barcelona, Catalunya, País Vasco, Galicia
- Costa Brava: Girona, Dalí, Montserrat, Rupit, Pubol
- Costa Dorada: Tarragona, Port Aventura, Sitges, wineries
- Basque country
Module III. Market research
- Introduction to Market research
- Writing for Marketing
- Customer relationship Management
- Affiliate Marketing
- Video Marketing
- Social Media Channels
- Social Media Strategy
- Email Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Data analysis and Conversion optimisation
Module IV. Foreign Language Intensive Course (Spanish, French or Russian)
– Official DELE exam of Spanish for Foreigners preparation module
– General French or Russian Language test according the initial entrance level
Module V. Spanish/French/Russian Language for the Tourism Sector Module
Module VI. Final Project
· Project design
· Research tools
· Personal reflection
· Appropriate questionnaire designs
· Conducting academic research, literature search and review
· Developing a research question, hypothesis and methodology
· Managing a research projectIV: Production and Operation Management
Module VII: Internship
Official Exam of Spanish Language for Foreigners DELE or SIELE
French/Russian language exam